Office Conversion Logotype petersteeraia@stny.rr.com  Made with Xara click on thumbnail to enlarge Office Conversion This beautiful example of the California bungalow was built in 1908 at the height of the arts and crafts period. It was originally a farmhouse located amongst citrus orchards in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, but had sadly fallen into disrepair and was scheduled for demolition. An inspired local business owner stepped in to save the building and return it to its former glory. The building was reborn as a sales office with all the code challenges that this involves. The exterior was fairly easily resolved because most of the original materials and colors, etc. were still evident. A handicap access ramp was added to the building rear. Harder to resolve was the need to greatly increase the interior's ambient lighting level - this was resolved by the use of indirect cove lighting and recessed down-lights. The original parlor is now a sales office. Cove lighting and recessed downlights were added throughout to increase ambient lighting yet be consistent with the original architecture. The brick and stone work was repointed using mortar that matched the original exactly. The existing Cedar shingles were replaced allowing insulation to be added to the exterior walls and the chimney was also reinforced to withstand earthquakes.